Ok, couple of things befor the official weather update. And by official I don't mean the National Weather Service....I mean Sarah's assessment from the front porch.
Apparently the stress of this hurricane is getting to me already because I mistakenly posted that we are 20 miles above sea level, it's actually 20 ft. Wow, I was WAY off, can you imagine? So, sorry bout that!
This hurrication continues to be a source of amusement for me, it's a good thing because I think we'd all kill each other after being stuck in a house together for a couple days straight watching nothing but the weather channel for 24 hours a day. Case in point, we were sitting on the front porch and dad asked if I had my "sidearm" on me. I said, "what's a sidearm?" He said,"It's your gun Sarah." (Please reference rule number 2 in the post below.) I think I'm in a gangster movie here! Please don't think my dad is a crazy person, he really isn't, we're just having some fun to pass the time.
My brother Ian, his wife Christina, their two boys Declan and Liam and their white lab Pearl evacuated to Montgomery, Alabama. They left at like 6:30 this morning and JUST got there about an hour ago....Montgomery is 300 miles away. 300 miles in 13 hours. I told Ian to send me a blog that I can post so you can all hear about the fun 13 hour evacuation. While we're waiting for that though I'll share a story he just told me. The beginning of the evacuation worked great, contraflow was working as it is meant to, but the problem came when he got into Mississippi and the contraflow ended. For those of you unfamiliar with contraflow...basically they close down the interstate coming into the New Orleans area and use those lanes as additional outbound lanes. So they get into Mississippi and there are state troopers everywhere writing tons of traffic tickets. As if the people evacuating don't have enough aggravation to deal with ?!
I got a funny email that I'd like to share from a friend in New York who read the blog, and for those of you who know my dad, you will find this both funny and true.
"This is Jonathan. The blog is a great idea and I will be reading along. I would say that you're all crazy, but if there is anyone to be stuck in a hurricane with - it's your dad. Others might perish but you'll probably be having a crawfish boil. Stay strong!!"
I'm still laughing about this, because it's so true. I think my dad could be on one of those shows where they drop the guy in the middle of nowhere with a knife and a match and see if they survive. He's that handy and seems to know everything about everything. Thus, a great person to have around during a hurricane!
Ok, so now to the weather update. At about 6:30 we started noticing that it was getting a little breezy outside. Then it started getting really windy and raining...I tried to get outside to take some video to share but of course it slowed down as soon as I got out there with the camera. Then about 10 minutes later the electricity went out...seriously, we're 15 minutes into this thing and the electricity already went out? AWESOME. Luckily we have the trusty generator so all is well. The only thing we don't have is wifi, but dad's gonna work on that tomorrow! For now we're using his broadband card.
For tomorrow, we're going to do a little Katrina retrospective...no, not upsetting stories or anything, just a little background on how we fared over here that's going to include before and after pictures of the house and the damage that was caused here. Compared to those in the ninth ward and lakeview we did well, but I still think some of the pictures are pretty shocking so I'll share those tomorrow.
Hope everyone's doing well and staying safe.
Take care,
Sarah
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment