The next day I learned of my brother's window explosion. The storm was mostly past by then and I think it was then that everyone started to get the feeling that this wasn't going to be the normal aftermath of a hurricane. Since there wasn't any electricity there wasn't TV, but everyone usually had a battery operated radio, so info about the flooding in St. Bernard started to be talked about on the radio. Looking back I think that's the point at which I became an adult because I began to follow the story about Carolyn Parks flooding and how people had to escape the flood waters by climbing into their attics.
It was two weeks before we had electricity. I don't know, if people, who haven't done without electricity, realize how close you come to out and out barbarity when there is no power. No grocery stores are open, you have people trucking in ice and selling it for outrageous prices, no gas, because of course the pumps need power, no telephone service, no police unless they just happen to pass by when a crime is committed, because believe me the bad guys are always there to take advantage. I think society did a little growing up after Betsy but it would take Camille and then Katrina before government and rest of us really woke up to the tragedy others were dealing with, especially the poor and the most vulnerable of society.
Then came Camille, I know I hadn't see that type of destruction, especially so close me. I had spent a lot of my childhood at my grandparents summer house in Waveland, so I was pretty familiar with the Gulfcoast. So many of the grand homes just washed away, so many lives lost.
Katrina would finally take my Grandfathers house away. I hate to talk about Katrina because I know so many people are tired of it, but it's kinda of like the holocaust (no irate e-mails I'm not equating Katrina with the holocaust), we have to keep reminding ourselves of the horror of it so that the lessons learned will not be forgotten. Because we still haven't come back from Katrina, the poor, sick, elderly, the mentally ill are still living with the aftereffects and the continuing neglect by government and society of the most vulnerable in society.
I spent my last days at work (I'm the coordinator for a day program for mentally ill adults) making sure that those who didn't have family could find a way to a shelter, because these people don't have cars to escape in, nor money to pay for hotel rooms. Well so much for the soapbox.
So now we have Gustav. Who comes up with these names. Gustav sounds like the name of your old flatulent uncle, the one who always has gravy down the front of his shirt and is always telling how big you're getting in a kind of leering uncomfortable way. Anyway Gustav is pretty much a bust here in Pearl River. Gusty Gustav, lots of wind and rain but hopefully not too many people hurt by him.
I have to admit this blogging thing is a lot of fun and while I've been blogging, the love of my life has been changing out outlets that have needed to be done for years. There is not a lot else to do so he is trying to get some items on his honeydo list done.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment