Monday, September 1, 2008

Still raining

Looks like we were spared most of the bad effects of Gustav. We've had pretty steady rain all day and a good amount of wind. It's stopped a couple of times and we thought it was pretty much over, then a torrential downpour would come. As of now Gustav is a category 1 and is moving northwest so we're just catching the (hopefully) last few outer bands. So far, there isn't much damage that we can see. Lots of branches and debris of that sort, but no trees down in our yard or at the neighbors. We're planning on taking a drive tomorrow to check out the area and to check on my brothers house a few miles away. Looks like NOLA is faring better than predicted, so we couldn't be happier about that. Although I wasn't here during and following Katrina, I still see the affects of that storm every day when I drive into work, so it's good to know that we're not going to have to go through all of that again.

Electricity is still out, cable is still out, landline phones are out and my cell phone isn't working, so no texting, boo. I think it's because it's a Baton Rouge number and the storm probably knocked some towers down there. Mom and Dad both have Dallas cell numbers that they kept from after Katrina so atleast we have a way to call people. Since the cable's been out since last night dad went up and hooked up the old school bunny ear antennae (sorry if that's spelled wrong, I feel like we don't really have a need to use the word antennae anymore so I don't really need to know how to spell it correctly). Well it might not be bunny ears, but that's what I picture in my mind based on how crappy the picture is on the tv. Is this what tv looked like back in the day before cable boxes and digital cable? God, we're spoiled by technology. I asked dad what people did before when there was no internet, no cable and no generators. He said, we read books, and had conversations with each other. And we played boardgames and cards. So, the Finnin Hurrication Poker game will commence after dinner!! I'm all conversationed out with these people! Just kidding :) If ya gotta be stuck in the house with people, I have to say my parents are some of the best to be stuck with. And not just because of my dad's mad survival man skills.

I must say, Hurrication isn't all bad...since mom isn't working, she's been cooking lots of meals so we've been eating pretty well. Unfortunately we're eating like we're on vacation so we'll probably all gain 5 lbs...or maybe that's just me!

Ian and Christina made it through the night in Montgomery, Alabama with no bad weather and they took the boys to the zoo today, sounds like they're having a fun hurrication too!!

That's about all I have for now...I smell something garlicky and delicious coming from the kitchen so I'm gonna go eat, drink and be merry!

Hope everyone's doing well and gets to come back home soon.
Sarah

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! Glad things are okay. Our fence got ripped out and streets were kinda flooded but nothing crazy... I def. cant get in touch with the family down there... And my cell phone doesnt work either in NYC!!!! :(